AT Medics is a leading provider of primary healthcare services in London and recently achieved a “Good” Care Quality Commission (CQC) rating for Thornton Road Surgery.
A “Good” rating from CQC confirms that Thornton Road Surgery has a high standard in all of the CQC five inspection domains, which are Safe, Effective, Caring, Responsive and Well-led.
The following is a summary letter from the Chief Inspector of General Practice, Professor Steve Field:
We carried out an announced comprehensive inspection at the AT Medics GP practice at Parkway Health Centre on 13 May 2015. Overall the practice is rated as good.
Our key findings across all the areas we inspected were as follows
- Staff understood and fulfilled their responsibilities to raise concerns, and to report incidents and near misses. Information about safety was recorded, monitored, appropriately reviewed and addressed.
- Risks to patients were assessed and well managed
- Patients’ needs were assessed and care was planned and delivered following best practice guidance. Staff had received training appropriate to their roles and any further training needs had been identified and planned.
- Patients said they were treated with compassion, dignity and respect and they were involved in their care and decisions about their treatment.
- Information about services and how to complain was available and easy to understand.
- Patients said they found it easy to make an appointment, with urgent appointments available the same day.
- The practice had good facilities and was well equipped to treat patients and meet their needs.
- There was a clear leadership structure and staff felt supported by management. The practice proactively sought feedback from staff and patients, which it acted on.
We saw a number of areas of outstanding practice:
- There were excellent examples of how the practice’s vision and ethos was implemented by the staff team working together to maintain high standards, deliver positive health outcomes for patients and foster a supportive work environment. The practice had achieved the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) Quality Practice Award (QPA), ISO 9001:2008 certification for its quality management system, and an Investor in People (IIP) award. QOF data for this practice showed the practice was performing exceptionally high, achieving an overall score of 100% in the 2014 /15 year.
- The practice had completed a smoking cessation audit within the last year which had led to increases in the numbers of people completing the course and remaining as non-smokers.
- We found the practice outstanding in its care of People experiencing poor mental health (including people with dementia) because they had recognised the stigma surrounding poor mental health and had worked with local enterprises to work to ensure people were better informed.